Sunday, March 2, 2014

February/March Memories!

Really? February has come and gone. March 1st passed before I realized it was March 2nd. Now that is busy.

It is a miracle I survived the month. One of my daughters moved back to this area, and I'm thrilled. I had to travel to Houston and help her pack. Two 26-foot trucks with trailers pulling vehicles behind them later, and we arrived in one piece. What an ordeal to move six grandchildren, ages 2 to 20. I'm exhausted, but so excited to have them so near.

The very week we returned, my 90-year-old father and his wife, along with my siblings and their spouses came for a reunion. Sad story, short, my father is in later stages of Melanoma and this may be our last reunion. It was our first in what seems like forever. I didn't want to see the week end.

I love my father so much, and the tight hug he gave me at the airport will remain with me for a very long time, my lifetime. We exchanged "I love you," and he said he loved me more and it became a debate as to who loved who more. I felt 5 again, then 10, then 18 and going out the door. I felt 25, 30, 40, 50, 60. All the years he has loved me flooded through me like a rush of wind blowing through your hair. Life IS just like a rush of wind. My last view of him was sitting in a wheelchair waiting to be rolled through security, his slumped shoulders from age and hard work, and his beautiful silvery white hair shining from the bright lights in the airport. I remember his blue eyes as he looked at me for the last time. These memories are mine forever, and I will miss him dearly when he succumbs to the fight.

I remember him young, vibrant, and full of spirit. His laughter so contagious that you thought you'd die if he kept it up. I love so many more things about him, including the sacrifices he made for his family. I love him and am proud to say that I am the luckiest daughter to have had such a wonderful dad.

We come. We live. We die.

My father loved our mother, loved us, and he taught and instilled within us great values. He made mistakes like all people, but he still loved us all. He was a magnificent dad. He worked hard for all the years I can remember, and had many friends.

Guess you could say he did his best.

Time is not our enemy, it's our best friend. May we all use what we have and spend it like the precious gift that it is. It won't be long and I'll be 90. It's a puff of wind away.

Write on.

This is my beautiful Dad.





3 comments:

AWritersTale said...

It's truly sad to find out about his condition. It's very difficult losing a loved one. I just hope he doesn't have to suffer.

Unknown said...

me too, thanks.

Marcy said...

Very touching thoughts. My Dad just recently turned 90 years old and is losing his sight. It's hard to see our parents aging and finding their way through this part of life. It is a comfort to remember that life is just a speck of time in the grand scheme of eternity. Hope all is well.